Who doesn’t love a nice, warming soup especially when there’s a bit of snow on the ground? I personally love leeks and I love this soup chunky vs smooth. Let me know what you think of my variation with the bacon – Tag me when you make it!
Bacon Potato Leek Soup
– 2 tbsp butter or avocado oil
– a few cooked strips of bacon
– 3 medium potatoes, washed and cubed
– full fat cream
– 4 cups of bone broth
– 1-2 large leeks
– 1 small diced onion
– 2 cloves minced garlic
– 1 tsp dried thyme
– 1 tsp dried dill
– salt & pepper to taste
– freshly chopped parsley
– cook bacon and set aside on a paper towel to drain excess grease.
– wash leeks well. First cut off the ends where it’s dark green and tougher. Then cut the leeks vertically and wash well between the little “slats” to ensure you get all dirt out. I always buy leeks organic.
– chop leeks into smaller pieces once washed.
– in a round large dutch oven like a Le Creuset (6 litre) at medium heat, add avocado oil or butter and sauté onion, garlic and leeks for about 5 minutes until soft.
– add in cubed potatoes.
– sauté another 5 minutes.
– add in bone broth and all herbs except for parsley.
– cook at a low boil for 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
– add a splash of cream to your desired thickness.
– finish with fresh parsley and crumble bacon on top.